Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Getting High

My favourite film is Mary Poppins, which is about a nanny looking after two children in an Edwardian English family. Mary Poppins is not like any ordinary nanny, she has magical powers.

In one scene, Mary Poppins is called out on an emergency visit to Uncle Albert's, who has laughed himself off the ground and is stuck on the ceiling. Mary Poppins, her friend Bert, and her two charges, Michael and Jane, set off to Uncle Albert's. They end up having tea in the ceiling exchanging jokes.

Bert:

Nice weather we're having this time of year, don't you think?

Uncle Albert:

Oh, yeah. Uh, speaking of weather, the other day when it was so cold, a friend of mine went to buy some long underwear, you know. The shopkeeper said to him, "How long do you want it?" and my friend said, "Well, from about September to March." Mary Poppins Script
Joy lifts me up. When I'm full of joy I feel as if I've been drinking alcohol, you know when you get giggly; but joy is the easier and cheaper way to get high.

My friend and I discussed what it's like to be drunk on joy. He said recently he was so high on joy, he was laughing out loud for no reason. He walked past a man and the man found his laughter infectious and he started laughing too. My "drunken" friend ended up finding a £20 note on the ground. Nice one!

To get drunk on joy all I have to do is think of joy and keep saying more, and more, and I've got the giggles. And the fun thing about joy is you can share the experience with anyone who is up for it.

Let's all get high!

Any takers?

Enocia