Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Living as My Real Self

Don Juan had said that by means of discipline it is possible for anyone to bring the energy body closer to the physical body. Normally, the distance between the two is enormous. Once the energy body is within a certain range, which varies for each of us individually, anyone, through discipline, can forge it into the exact replica of their physical body - that is to say, a three-dimensional, solid being. Hence the sorcerers' idea of the other or the double. By the same token, through the same processes of discipline, anyone can forge their three-dimensional, solid physical body to be a perfect replica of their energy body - that is to say, an ethereal charge of energy invisible to the human eye, as all energy is. (The Active Side of Infinity, by Carlos Castaneda, p. 216)
Anyone can get enlightened in an instant. Self-realisation, i.e. realising that there is only one Self, having life, is a doddle. But the real challenge is whether you can walk your spiritual talk. Are you going to be one of those who spouts out fine spiritual ideas and principles while you still feel fearful? To walk the talk takes cultivating a new habit - a spiritual habit. In order for the habit to become natural one needs to start from scratch like a baby learning to walk.

When a baby takes his first steps he may stumble for a while. With practise he walks sturdily. As he grows more confident he discovers there are many different ways of walking such as: running, jogging, hopping, skipping, hiking, limping, etc. By the time he is an adult, he has become an adept at walking in his own unique way. Similarly, living as Spirit means one has to practise until it becomes a habit, then you become a natural and a Master at living as Spirit.

One of my favourite pastimes is going for long walks. At first, I did it because I believed it was a perfect form of exercise that would keep me fit. Then I realised that it is the one Self, the All There Is, taking the walk, not I, Enocia. After that realisation, walking got boring. Why? Because I would walk for hours and not feel tired. I would feel as fresh as when I had just started. I guess I still had the mentality that life has to be a challenge or difficult otherwise it's not fun. Yet, I still had the urge to go for longer walks. It was then I realised that when I walk consciously as Spirit, I am cultivating a new habit. The more I do it, the more I am being my real self that is Spirit and the more natural it is for me to live as Spirit. I started noticing small changes in my behaviour. Instead of thinking about places I could get water to replenish me on my walk, I stopped feeling the need for water or food. This is because I am walking as my "energy body" which is limitless energy.

As I let my real self do the walking, I am becoming less human and being Spirit. In other words, wherever I focus my attention is magnified. Is it any wonder why I can feel sick and in the next moment I'm perfectly well? That's because my real self cannot be sick. So when I lapse in consciousness, all I have to do is be my real self and I'm back to normal. Is it any wonder why I am ageless? That's because my real self is timeless so I cannot age either.

"There are scores of outside forces controlling you at this moment," don Juan replied. "The control that I am referring to is something outside the domain of language. It is your control and at the same time it is not. It cannot be classified, but it can certainly be experienced. And above all, it can certainly be manipulated. Remember this: It can be manipulated, to your total advantage, of course, which again, is not your advantage, but the energy body's advantage. However, the energy body is you, so we could go on forever like dogs biting their own tails, trying to describe this. Language is inadequate. All these experiences are beyond syntax." (The Active Side of Infinity, by Carlos Castaneda, p. 217)
Every moment gives me an opportunity to be the real self that is always perfect. As my real self I have limitless new ideas. As my real self I am full of joy. As my real self I have limitless energy. To have access to my real self's infinite resources, I have to live as my real self.

Of course if I ever get the urge to "feel the burn" all I have to do is pretend I'm only human. Mind you, it's getting more and more difficult to play that game because my spiritual habit is taking over. Besides, I can do without the drama.

Spring has sprung. Lots of exciting long walks for me/us. Lovely-jubbly!

With love,
Enocia