Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Materialism, Spiritualism, Alternative Realities, and Drama

At any one time I am experiencing the world in either a material or a spiritual way.

When my focus is material, I am influenced by what my senses tell me. Thus, materialism has nothing to do with wanting things or focusing on having money, it is about believing only on what one perceives with the senses. Much of what is passing off as human knowledge is material. Technology is an offshoot of the material approach to life. I believe to depend only on your senses, with or without the aid of technology, is a limiting perspective of the world because the observer is only seeing things in part, which results in knowledge that is at best incomplete or fragmented, and at worst distorted. (see Through a Glass Darkly)

On the other hand, when I see the world in a spiritual way, I walk by "faith and not by sight." What is faith? To quote the scriptures:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11: 1)
This means "the substance of things hoped for" is the realm of the imagination where ideas originate. In fact, everything we experience with our senses were ideas in the imagination and continue to exist as ideas. Walking by faith is realising that I live and move and have my being in imagination where there are solid ideas as in all forms whether perceived as humanoid, animal, nature, matter, mythical creatures, archetypes such as gods, goddesses, angels etc; abstract ideas such as love, peace, joy, truth, freedom, and power; and pure imagination that is formless and void.

"But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." (1 Corinthians 13: 10)
When I see reality as imagination, at any moment I always have the truth of what is going on; but it is up to me to choose whether I want to accept the truth or not. A while back I saw a vision of myself going to a friend's house. I had only been to her house once before and couldn't remember the house number. Besides, I hadn't seen her in months. To cut a long story short, the vision turned out to be part of a telepathic message I had been picking up from my friend. I ended up going to her house the next day to give her cat healing. For the full story see We are Angels.

I believe when you follow the spiritual approach i.e., seeing everything as imagination, there are no dramas because you know what's what. It is only when you choose to see reality in a material way, in part, that you appear to only have part of the story which creates an alternative reality that is full of drama, tension and conspiracy theories; obviously, good material for a writer. But you have to be very careful you don't find yourself taking the alternative reality literally or else...

Last night I found myself in an alternative reality of my own making. While I was waiting for a bus in town, I had a thought to go home a different route but I dismissed the thought. The thought was repeated but I was adamant I wanted to use the route I had in mind. My journey took ages. It was also pelting it down with rain. On my travels I met this woman who is a lecturer in journalism. She said she had the day off because the lecturers are on strike. Drama. She kept saying that this is so typical of London travels. More drama. We talked about life and stuff. After she left I sat next to a woman who kept moaning and looking at her watch every few minutes. Drama and tension. I had to walk the rest of the journey because all my buses were not going further. Drama and intrigue. The long and the short of it was a journey that should have taken me about one and a half hours ended up taking me four hours. Aaargh! Hmmm! Did it really happen or did I dream the whole experience? Conspiracy and intrigue. Still, it's something to write about, huh? Haha!

Spiritual or material? For the no drama way I choose spiritual any time. But for drama and intrigue, it has to be material.

Have fun whatever you get up to!

With love,
Enocia