Monday, April 03, 2006

Instruments of Love

Take a little time out of your busy day
To give encouragement
To someone who's lost the way
(Just try)
Or would I be talking to a stone
If I asked you
To share a problem that's not your own
We can change things if we start giving
Why don't you

Reach out and touch
Somebody's hand
Make this world a better place
If you can Reach Out and Touch
It was Saturday evening and I was sitting at a bookshop having a browse. Beside me were two young women having a conversation. From what I could make out, one woman, who I shall call Ann, was very new to London. Ann was from South Korea and studying social science. She said she was missing her boyfriend and she wished he could be with her.

The other woman, who I shall call Alice, was from Slovakia and has been living in London for two years. Alice described what life has been like for her in London. She gave Ann a website address for people looking for friendships. Alice asked Ann how old she was. Ann said she was 22 years old in the West but 23 in Korea. How come? (By then I was also intrigued). Because in Korea they count the period when the child is in his mother's womb so they always add a year to your age.

I joined the conversation. I told Ann how interesting it was to add one year to one's age compared to the western way. Soon it was time for the Ann to leave. She said she was so happy we were both so friendly and taking the time to chat to her. She asked me for my email address and said she would love to meet up which will help her with her English. Besides, we already have something in common - I also studied social science at college.

I stayed to chat to Alice. Alice described what an eventful day it had turned out to be. She usually spends her free time with her boyfriend but they had a row so she came to the bookshop to read. She said she doesn't usually speak to strangers, but she felt compelled to speak to Ann, which is out of character. I teased her that she was wearing a t-shirt with lots of heart shapes so it shouldn’t surprise her. I told her she was being her real self that is love and love always reaches out to touch others. We discussed life and what it means to be happy. Alice said she’s read many books on psychology and spirituality about finding happiness and yet she still feels she's not living it. We spent about two hours sharing our experiences.

It's funny how things work out. I didn't plan on going to that bookshop that evening. Alice didn't plan on visiting the bookshop either but she was drawn to the same bookshop. It would seem that at that moment we were all willing to let love express through us.

Love rules OK!

With love,
Enocia