Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Mistaken Identity

One of my Internet friends emailed me yesterday and requested a picture. I told him I didn't have one to send him. I said that he could see me as light as that is my true image.

A picture can tell nothing about who I am, nor can people tell who I am by meeting me in person. People form their own opinions based on their beliefs and expectations anyway. Here are a few examples of what I mean.

The other day while I was doing some grocery shopping at the supermarket, a voice behind me said, "Young man! I need your help."

I turned round and the woman realised I was a woman, at least I looked like a woman from the front. The woman apologised and then asked me to get a tin for her at the top of the shelf. I thought it was funny.

A while back while I was in the library, a boy in his buggy (push chair) called out to me: "Dad!" His mother looking embarrassed, apologised, and told him I wasn't his dad, but he kept insisting I was. I believe the baby was making an important point: a black woman who is father to a white kid is demonstrating that "with God all things are possible." Hahaha.

In another example, about a couple of years ago, I met an old friend whom I hadn't seen in about ten years. She called out my name, peered into my face, then decided it wasn't me. Just as she was about to walk away I called out her name and told her it was me. She said she didn't think it was me because she expected my face to have aged. I told her I didn't age.

My identity is not based on the colour of my skin, the length of my hair, my age, my gender, the way I look, my experiences, or my beliefs. Nor is my identity dependent on how others see me. Heck, I can't even rely on my own senses to tell me who I really am. I can imagine if I met my real self in person, I would probably bow down and worship her.

Who am I?

God knows.

Enocia.

Related article: Mirror, Mirror on the Wall