Saturday, April 01, 2006

Old Habits are Dying Hard, Thank God!

"For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God." (Romans 8: 24-27)

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2: 14)

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness." (1 Corinthians 3: 19)
So you have studied many spiritual texts and scriptures. You believe you are Spirit and you are determined to live as Spirit yet what you believe is not manifested in your life experiences. In fact, they are quite the reverse.

You know that as Spirit your nature is love, yet your have thoughts of attack and defence.

You know you are peace, yet your emotions are all over the place and you feel fearful.

You know you are wholeness, yet you are constantly in and out of your doctor's surgery.

You know you are abundance, yet you are living on the breadline.

You know you are eternal life, yet you see yourself aging and thinking of dying.

You are so frustrated that you start to doubt your beliefs. How can there be a God when you're constantly going through pain, suffering and all this drama? What you don't realise is that knowing that you are Spirit is the first and very important realisation. The problem is you've been conditioned to believe in appearances for far too long. You are too used to relying on what you can see, feel, hear etc. Your sensual experiences form the basis of your likes and dislikes. In fact, what you consider to be your human personality consists of your likes and dislikes, your thoughts, your emotions, social conditioning, experiences and beliefs. Your thoughts, emotions, beliefs and desires are part of the thoughts and beliefs of the whole of humanity and every human that has ever lived. This is commonly referred to as the carnal or mortal mind. What you consider to be your human personality is actually the carnal mind manifested as you.

The good news is you are not your personality, you are Spirit. Spirit is your God presence, that which is eternal, perfect and good - your real self. Your real self remains the same no matter what your experiences or beliefs. It is the same self that is in all life. In Spirit, all is one.

The reason why you are not experiencing what you know is your true nature is because the carnal mind/personality and the Spirit are speaking two different languages and there is a break down in communication. Put another way, Spirit and the carnal/mortal mind are like two different radio stations. The Spirit channel speaks of love and unity while the carnal mind channel speaks of fear, attack and defence. In order to enjoy what the Spirit station has to offer, you need to stay tuned to the relevant station. When you can only hear the carnal mind, your life is that of fear, pain and suffering. When you are only hearing the Spirit you manifest the fruits of the Spirit - love.

How can I tune permanently to the Spirit channel?

By focusing only on that channel. On the one hand, you're so used to operating through your personality which only believes in what the senses tell you. The path of Spirit, on the other hand, is believing in what you can't see. This takes faith. Instead of trying to change the human personality to be what it cannot accept, as it goes against its nature, you're going to have to trust in Spirit, your real self, to do the work for you. The Spirit already knows what is of God. As Paul puts it in the above quote, the Spirit makes intercessions on your behalf. Spirit reveals what is real and true. The more you focus on Spirit the more you are dominated by the Spirit and you get to experience the fruits of the Spirit.

I've stopped trying to change my human personality which is tied in with the carnal mind. I only need to focus on being my real self, Spirit. As Spirit, I am disconnected from the mortal mind of conflicted beliefs, of pain and suffering and opening myself up to what I believe are the fruits of the Spirit: love, peace, joy, abundance, wholeness, wisdom, beauty, etc.

Here's one practical example of how I stay focused on Spirit.

Let's say I find a spot on my face. My first instincts used to be to either squeeze it or put some medication on it so it would go away. When I practised energy healing, I would direct energy at it to heal the area. When I practised healing through truth principles I would ponder on truth. All three methods worked and I got the desired result. However Spirit's way is different.

In a previous piece called Walking by Faith and Not By Sight, I wrote:

"I like to see my real self as the inside part of an egg - the yolk and albumen - that is soft and gooey; and the shell represents my experiences or what appears as the physical universe. The inside of the egg is pure being, my real self and the self of all. It is this self that is experiencing life on the one hand, yet untouched by life experiences on the other."
Now I ignore what my skin is doing and focus on my real self that I know is whole and perfect. I can't obviously perceive this self with my senses but I have faith that It exists. Soon, my skin is back to normal.

Thank God, it's becoming more of a habit for me to focus only on Spirit and not on appearances.

Enocia

Related article: Mirror, Mirror on the Wall