Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Eternal Moment

I am waiting for my bus. I notice this man speaking to a bus driver. He has a can of drink in one hand. After he’s finished speaking to the driver he sits next to me. I can see that he's drinking beer.

"Excuse me," he says, "do you mind if I smoke?"
"Not at all," I say.

I think to myself that it's so nice of him to ask.

After a few minutes he says "You know, I've never done that before."
"Done what?"
"I've never asked anyone if they mind if I smoke."
"Really?"
"Yeah. I heard this alarm bell in my head that went 'ding' which said you should ask before lighting up."
"Well, I really appreciate that you asked me."
"That's alright!" he says. "I just felt I should ask just in case."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome," he says. "I also felt like I should be thinking about other people."
"Good for you."
"I wish the voice will tell me how to get some money," he chuckles.

My bus arrives and I get on.

"God bless!" he says.
"You too."

Upstairs on the bus I look across at my friend still sitting at the bus station. He looks up at me. Our gazes lock. I wave goodbye. He smiles and waves back.

That's one moment that's going to last forever.

With love,
Enocia

See also Don't Worry, Be Thankful