Friday, May 05, 2006

Ever New Joy

"Ever-new Joy is God. He is inexhaustible; as you continue your meditations during the years, He will beguile you with an infinite ingenuity. Devotees like yourself who have found the way to God never dream of exchanging Him for any other happiness; He is seductive beyond thought of competition.

"How quickly we weary of earthly pleasures! Desire for material things is endless; man is never satisfied completely, and pursues one goal after another. The 'something else' he seeks is the Lord, who alone can grant lasting joy.

"Outward longings drive us from the Eden within; they offer false pleasures which only impersonate soul-happiness. The lost paradise is quickly regained through divine meditation. As God is unanticipatory Ever-Newness, we never tire of Him. Can we be surfeited with bliss, delightfully varied throughout eternity?" Autobiography of a Yogi
People complain about life being humdrum. You want to experience something new you have to be open to it.

When I was a student I studied the media as a cultural form. As part of my research for my dissertation on talk shows, I went to see several of them being made. In one show in which I participated, the recorded version was completely different from the aired version. I realised the programme had been edited to fit in with the producer/editor's agenda. Even when I attended a live show, I could still see that the presenter was interviewing people in line with the show's agenda.

When everything is planned where is the spontaneity? Planning and control suggests fear of the unknown. What is the known? The known is habits, memories, beliefs, and same old rituals. While you're holding fast to the known, you are resisting the new.

Life is spontaneous. Every moment is totally brand new. While it seems as if I'm walking down the same old street, riding on the same old buses, writing about the same old topic and recalling the same old memory, every moment is brand new. Thus, every time I see something or remember an experience it is always from a brand new perspective.

I went for a walk in Hampstead Heath the other day. I was very aware that every step I was taking was a brand new step that had no relation to the previous step. So after walking for about an hour, I felt as fresh as a daisy which wasn't surprising as I had only taken the one step.

The paradox of life is though every moment is new, the one Life from which the ever-new moment emerges is unchanging.

Nothing can be added to or taken away from God who is Joy, Life, Love and Perfection.

Love always,
Enocia

Related articles: Just Say Now; A Fun Spiritual Practice