Friday, May 05, 2006

No Other Law but God

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." (Exodus 20: 3)

"Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3: 2-4)
When I ask someone to do something it's because I trust in his ability to do it. But if I keep reminding him how to do it I am demonstrating that I do not have faith in his ability. I shouldn't be too surprised when the job doesn't get done.

In a previous article, I talked about how people see life as compartments. They create little segments such as relationships, work, social, leisure...and spiritual. Those who have a belief in God or a Higher Self think God is responsible for the spiritual side and they are in charge of the rest. Naturally, the Universe being your ally will manifest a reality that matches your beliefs.

As I see it, there is only one life and that life is God or Infinite Love. This means I don't have my own life to live, nor does my mother or others have their own lives to live. We are all living the one life that is God.

Realising God is life is one thing but being consistent with this realisation is another. Let's take a practical example. Two days ago when I went home my mother said the washing machine had stopped working. She said an engineer was coming round at some point to fix it. "Just as well I renewed the insurance," she said. Fair enough, it's what my mother believes and it's "her" washing machine. The problem with having an insurance is you're demonstrating that you expect the machine to break down. You've made the insurance company your god. The universe being your ally will manifest your beliefs perfectly. Does this mean one shouldn't have insurance? Well, it depends if you have complete faith that your life is God. When you do then you also realise that you are under no other law but God. When you know that God is the washing machine then you trust it is always working perfectly, and there is no need to take out an insurance.

As I was walking to the bus stop this morning a passerby handed me a Jehovah's Witness booklet called "Watchtower." I accepted it and thanked her. I had a feeling there was something in it that was going to be relevant to what I had been thinking about. The theme was about how to look after the elderly using principles from the Bible. One headline reads "God Cares for the Elderly." That is a contradiction in terms. God doesn't care for the elderly because God does not recognise the concept "elderly." Elderly is a human construct based on the belief that you have your own life resulting in aging, sickness and death. Where there is God, there is only God, not the elderly or OAPs (old age pensioners), as they are called in the UK.

In another article the caption reads:

"In 1990, at the age of 68, I became completely paralyzed. Yet, for about 15 years now, I have joyfully been serving as a full-time minister on the island of Cyprus. What has given me the strength to remain active in Jehovah's service despite my infirmities?"
Without needing to read the whole article, the above tells me that the writer sees himself as separate from God. He is playing his part and drawing strength from God. Hello! If you realised God was your life you wouldn't need to want to draw strength but to be whole.

There are so many people who are trying to do God's work. God doesn't need your help to do anything. God's work is already done. All I need to do is realise that my life is God and trust in life to express as me. The greatest service anyone can give to God is to live with a constant awareness that there is nothing but God.

There is no other law but God.
God is all there is.

Enocia

Related article: Love is My Only Insurance