Friday, June 09, 2006

Faith Without Works is Dead

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." (James 2: 19-20; 26)
For me, the spiritual path is realising that Love is all there is, therefore, right where I am is Infinite Love. Realisation is the first step but if I don’t apply this principle to life, it is as useful as a pogo stick is to a giraffe.

A few days ago I got chatting to this guy on the bus. He asked me what I was doing the next day, which was Sunday. I said I didn't have any plans and I'll have to see what I'm inspired to do. He said he was going to church and spending time with his nephew. He said he was an evangelical Christian. He asked me if I went to church. I said I didn't belong to any religion but I believed in God.

He also told me he was training for his 5 day trek to Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for some charity. I told him I once met someone who had taken the same trip and I would love to do it some day. My friend said he was worried about altitude sickness. I said he needn’t suffer from it as it’s only a belief. He said the human body is not designed for altitude and it can affect the body in different ways.

One thing that was quite evident was he didn’t believe in God. I know he’s a Christian and he "believes" in God, but a true believer knows that God is omnipresent Love. And where there is Love there is no fear; where there is Love there is no room for altitude sickness.

I wished my friend well and we parted company.

Believing in God is one thing but without works, i.e. acting in accordance with that belief, your faith is dead. Faith with works is being constantly aware that I am always walking in Love.

About an hour ago when I was waiting for a bus I felt one shoulder itching. I didn’t wonder what it was or whether I was sensitive to discordant thoughts; instead, I centred myself in the truth that "Love is all there is," and the itching stopped instantly.

I walk in Love.
Love is all there is.

Enocia

Related articles: When Being Good is Not Enough; Love is Always Present; Nice Words and So What?