Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Understanding

I was browsing at the bookshop yesterday. After I'd been reading for a few minutes I closed my eyes so I could be still. In fact, that's how I tend to read: read, stillness, read, stillness. Soon, the shop's security guard tapped me on my shoulder. He said I wasn't allowed to sleep in the bookshop.

I have to admit, I'm a bit of an expert sleeper who can sleep anywhere, but at that moment I was wide awake.

"But I wasn't sleeping," I said.

"You had your eyes closed and it looked like you were sleeping."

"I was only thinking," I said. "Aren't customers allowed to think with their eyes closed?"

He didn't say anything. He simply raised his arms indicating he didn't want to get into an argument, and he walked away.

A part of me was feeling rebellious over the man's action so I continued to read and close my eyes. Then I had a thought: "How would you feel if you were the security guard?" In my mind's eye I saw him standing in front of me. I saw that he wasn't trying to give me a hard time, he was only doing his job as he sees it. I felt immense love for him and felt love pouring from my heart to his.

Just at that moment, the door opened and my security guard friend walked through the shop and headed downstairs. I decided it was time to leave. I also intended to have a word with my friend on my way out. I found him standing on the ground floor.

"Excuse me," I said, "I just want you to know that I appreciate where you're coming from. It obviously did look as if I was sleeping. I also know you were only doing your job, so I'm cool with that."

He smiled and said, "thank you for understanding."

I returned his smile.

All is one; all is Love.

Enocia